Week 13, Post 1


When I see an effective sponsored post on Facebook, I really don't realize that it is an ad. I'm normally drawn to it because it is visually appealing.  If it seems like it is a post from one of the pages I follow, I will likely stop to read it.  If it looks too much like an ad, I will typically skip it.  Some of the things I have noticed with ads that reach me is they will sometimes use emojis in their copy.  To me, that is part of making it look like it is a post from a friend rather than a business.  Of course, there are exceptions.  I am no stranger to being drawn to a cute outfit, interior design style and a sale, so if a brand I am familiar with posts their new collection I will often click to see more.  I get frustrated  when I click however and I have to sign in to something or jump through a couple of screens to get to what was originally posted.  I really just want to go to straight to that item or offer.  

Social media has changed so much of how to reach your target market.  In some ways, it has become easier and more precise, but I recently spoke with a marketing professional about how some businesses have started going back to direct mail marketing because in some markets online marketing has become over saturated and they want to do something "different".  I can see where there can be an ebb and flow of marketing tools to effectively reach your target market.  But, you absolutely need to be part of the social media marketing game.  Coupons used to be such a big draw, but now promo codes have all but taken the place of the physical coupon.  Newspapers also used to be such an important way to advertise although when I worked in that business, I found it very difficult to track the effectiveness as well as you can through online tools.  Radio has also changed as so many people have moved to subscription services.  So many of the traditional methods have shifted into advertising through online sources.  While I am currently looking for a job, I see that every single marketing position asks for social media marketing experience.  Online marketing is only going to become more powerful in advertising.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13, Post 2

Week 15, Post 1

Week 2: Post 1