Week 3 Post 1
I have nearly given up with trying to work with cable and internet companies. I believe that with some companies, their strategy is to keep you on the phone for as long as possible so that you become frustrated and give up on trying to get your problem solved. My greatest frustration has been with AT&T. I have tried working with them primarily over the phone with their customer service and each time I have been on the phone for an unreasonable amount of time. I have considered leaving to go elsewhere but don’t really have the time to close my account and have them drag it out for an hour or more. Although my experience is negative, they still have me as a customer. For now.
I often look at reviews in order to purchase a product. Going online to search for the reviews, both negative and positive will often be the deciding factor on which product I will purchase. Certainly, if someone is unhappy it can really swing me in the other direction. If you are unhappy about something and it has not been handled to your satisfaction, going onto the companies Facebook page, Twitter feed or providing a negative review will get you noticed. I see with some companies who monitor comments or reviews online that they will reply to the unhappy customer in order to make things right for them. If a customer has had a negative experience, the company will reach out directly to them to handle it.
I tend to not write many negative reviews. If I am extremely unhappy the company will know it. I will write positive reviews however more often. If I receive really great service, I know how much it can help a business. Lately, I have done this on Nextdoor.com. I have found that particular site to be incredibly helpful and underrated by companies. In fact, I just had some body work done on my car because of a glowing review from a member of my community. The business had no idea that this site existed. Good thing it was a positive review and not a negative one.
If I had a business, I would do my best to make sure my customers were happy. I would need to make it my job to do a search and monitor reviews by thanking people for positive remarks or try and reach out to people who might be unhappy. I sometimes see companies try to explain things to a customer within the comments (rationalizing why the customer might have had a bad experience). I think you have to be careful with that however as it can backfire. Customers or potential customers don’t need to see the back and forth of a dispute. I think it is best to leave that offline.
I agree, I cannot stand long phone calls and that type of service is the worst and leaves you feeling, as you said unhappy with the company.
ReplyDeleteHi Christine, I also have had horrible experiences with AT&T! When trying to set up anything/cancel an appt, etc they have had me on hold for up to 2 hours. Their horrible customer service alone led me to pay more and just stick with cox.
ReplyDeleteI also like that you pointed out the business trying to rationalize with the customer on the internet can backfire. I do think it is very unprofessional when the business turns around and shames the customer for being unreasonable in front of all the viewers.
I recently just switched from AT&T to Verizon. I agree that AT&Ts wait time over the phone is inconvenient and some times, inconsiderate to their customers. This will discourage you into even wanting to complain because of how long you have been waiting in the first place, and who wants to let out frustration to an agent over the phone, who you've been speaking with for 2 hours already? NO ONE!
ReplyDeleteWill be checking out Nextdoor.com next time for reviews. Thank you for the recommendation!